Life Update: Employment

I am thrilled to be starting work as a DevOps Engineer at Dude Solutions in Cary, North Carolina. 


Several weeks ago, I returned to Apex, North Carolina after studying at Brigham Young University in Provo, UT. Although I loved much of my experience at BYU, Utah never felt like "home" to me. When I came back to North Carolina, I was hoping to stay nearby, where "staying nearby" meant I might end up anywhere along the east coast.

I was far more fortunate than I expected I would be. After sending out resumes, interviewing, and discussing employment opportunities with a handful of firms in the (broader) area, I'm excited to announce that I've accepted a position at Dude Solutions, Inc, located in Cary, North Carolina. For my Utah friends, Cary is to Apex (my hometown) as Provo is to Orem.

I'm not just excited because of the location. Dude Solutions is a company with a fantastic reputation that develops facilities management software used by a variety of companies in different industries. In my position as a DevOps Engineer, I'm excited to learn more about a variety of technologies and meaningfully contribute to a product. Working at Dude Solutions is a fantastic opportunity coming out of school, and I couldn't be happier.

It's worth noting that much of what I've been able to do is because of the fantastic faculty at BYU. The Political Science department at BYU gives undergraduate students many opportunities to conduct and contribute to original research. This has allowed me to hone my technical skills in a way that empowered me to look for a technical job.

The University itself also deserves much of the credit. BYU fosters an environment where students are hired to work in a variety of areas on campus. My job at BYU Broadcasting was one of the highlights of my university education. The people there were kind, encouraging, and taught me many technical and professional skills.

My formal graduation from BYU will be in August. Although I've left the university, I am completing my last required general education class (IHUM 202, "Western Humanities Two") over the internet using BYU Online.

I haven't yet determined exactly where in the central North Carolina area I'll end up staying. For the next several weeks at least, I'll stay in Apex while I get everything together.

I'm thrilled to be working with a fantastic company in an area that I love. To all my North Carolina friends, I'm thrilled to be close by!

Comments